History of Wyoming
Wyoming is located in the Mill Creek Valley, which has provided a route from the Ohio River to points north since Native American times. In the early 1800s settlers in the territory developed Springfield Pike through what would become Wyoming.
The completion of the Miami & Erie Canal in neighboring Lockland in the late 1820s opened the doors for growth and industry in that community. Many Lockland factory owners chose to build their homes in Wyoming.
Significant growth in Wyoming did not occur until the Cincinnati, Hamilton, and Dayton Railroad was put into service in 1851. Soon after, residential subdivisions were developed to take advantage of the access to and from Cincinnati that the train provided.
On April 4, 1861, Colonel Robert Reily held a meeting in his home for the purpose of naming the village that had developed. The name “Wyoming” was selected because the village reminded early settlers of a beautiful spot in Pennsylvania that was called Wyoming. In 1874, Wyoming officially became a Village with 600 residents.
Wyoming’s leaders were progressive and by the 1890s had constructed a town hall, water works, an electric light plant, sewerage, sidewalks, an amusement hall, and school buildings. In the 1920s a planning commission and zoning regulations were adopted, and by 1946 the first Master Plan was adopted by the Village.
In 1949, the village became a city of over 5,000 persons, implementing the City Manager form of government. Seven elected Council members oversee City operations, while the City Manager and staff handle day-to-day details.
Visit the Wyoming Historical Society’s page for more details.