How do I get a Building Permit and/or Zoning Certificate?
If you are applying for a residential building permit, a zoning certificate, or a sign permit, click HERE to download the form. Our permit application is a universal form for all residential project types, with the exception of work done in the public right-of-way.

If you are doing work in the public right-of way such as the public sidewalk, driveway apron, or curb cut, or for any work involving public areas click HERE to download a Public Area Excavation application form.

If you are the owner of a four + family residential dwelling or any non-residential building, you will need to apply for a building permit with the Hamilton County Building Department. Click here to be connected to their website. If needed, zoning approval can be applied for from the City of Wyoming, utilizing the form .

All permit applications filed for approvals with the City must be accompanied by three (3) sets of plans.

Interior work: submit three (3) sets of construction drawings
Exterior work: submit three (3) sets of construction drawings including a survey-based site plan
If you would like to see the fees and charges for the various permits and processes click here to view the Fee Schedule.

The property owner is ultimately responsible for ensuring that the proper permit(s) are obtained regardless of their agreement with their builder/contractor. Owners should always make sure that the builder/contractor has obtained all of the necessary building and/or zoning permits and has called for the inspections, as required. The permit fee includes the inspections so owners should be sure that the required inspections are requested. Conducting the inspection is our way of helping ensure that the project is being completed in accordance with the approved plans.

Plumbing & Electrical Permits:
Plumbing and electrical permits are required if a project involves these trades. Please contact the following agencies to obtain applications, schedule inspections, or if you have any questions as to the necessity of these permits.

For plumbing permits please contact the Hamilton County Public Health Department, 250 William Howard Taft, Cincinnati, OH 45219, phone number 513.946.7800, fax number 513.946.7890. Click here to be connected to their website.

For electric permits, please contact the Inspection Bureau Incorporated, 250 E. Court Street, Suite 125, Cincinnati, OH 45202, phone number 513.381.6080, fax number 513.381.6123. Click here to be connected to their website.

Private Sewage Treatment Systems:
Properties with septic and other private sewer systems are required to observe other regulations to ensure that their systems are properly maintained, adequately sized, and sufficiently far enough from the home and other improvements.  When owners of these properties are contemplating any changes to the footprint of their homes, adding bedrooms in their existing home, or performing certain other improvements, the Hamilton County Public Health District must inspect the system and approve the plans before Wyoming can approve a permit.  For a list of those properties with private sewage treatment systems in Wyoming, or to determine whether your home is connected to a private sewage treatment system, click here.  If your property is on the list, please contact the Hamilton County Public Health District at (513) 946-7871 to discuss the regulations and the review/approval process.

Additional Information:
Click here to be directed to the Board of Zoning Appeals page. If you are certain that you will need to request a variance, click here to download the application packet.

Click here to view the City of Wyoming Codified Ordinances.

Energy Conservation Software – Energy Conservation Software for residential buildings (ResCheck) may be dowloaded from the US Department of Energy.

Call Before You Dig
The Ohio Utilities Protection Service (OUPS) has a new number 8-1-1. A new federally-mandated national “Call Before You Dig” number, 811 was created to help protect you from unintentionally hitting underground utility lines while working on digging projects. Building a new deck? Constructing an addition? Planting a tree? Installing a mailbox? 811 is the new number you need to call before you begin any digging. It’s a free service and it is the law. For more information, visit the website at

74 KiB